Thursday, August 26, 2010

One of My Favorites

I have been hungry for Chicken Pot Pie for awhile, but it just didn't seem like a middle of the summer meal.  The other day it started out cloudy so I decided it would be a great day to make it.  It ended up getting sunny, but the temperature wasn't as hot as it has been.

It had been quite awhile since I had made it and I really wanted Annabelle to like it so I made the top crust super cute.  I used cookie cutters to cut out flowers.  She already has plans to do butterflies on the next one.  I thought it would be cute to make a Jack-O-Lantern face at Halloween.  Anyway, she loved it and ate her whole piece. She even ate an onion ball (it comes in the can, I would never touch one) without flinching.  Ariel even enjoyed it. She at the crust, potatoes, and carrots.


I know that there are tons of Chicken Pot Pie recipes, but this one is super easy and super delicious.  Plus it tastes really good on day 2, which is when James prefers to eat it.

Here is the recipe
    
1 pound cooked chicken cut up
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 milk
1 large can Veg-All (top shelf at Meijers) (you can use 2 small cans but I don't think you will get the potatoes)
     I gave this recipe to someone and they used fresh veggies and said it 
     didn't turn out.  I guess they don't cook 
     long enough.  I would rather just use the prepared veggies - much 
     easier. 
1 box pie crust

Mix the soups, chicken, Veg-All (drained), and milk together in a large bowl.
Spray your pie pan and put down the bottom crust.
Pour the filling into the crust.
*Put the top crust on and make some slices in it so the steam can escape
*Roll out the crust and make shapes with the cookie cutters
Put the crust on and rub it with a little milk or egg wash (just for a pretty browness)
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

What is nice about this recipe is that you can buy the ingredients and keep them in the cupboard because nothing goes bad.  The crust can go in the freezer and we all have chicken on hand most of the time.

I promise you will love this recipe.  Put it on your menu for the fall.
Let me know if you try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment