Friday, August 5, 2011

Lost and Found

The other day when I went to pay for something I noticed that I was missing a $20 bill.  I was waiting for some food and I suddenly felt light headed and a bit sick to my stomach.  I realize that it was only $20, but I don't use cash much so I knew that I had to have used the 20 on something very cheap. 

I called James and he said he didn't take it (last time I was missing money he had taken it.  I really wish he had taken it).  I was trying to retrace what I had done the day before with him (and he was trying to continue working).  He said it was fine and it just happens sometimes.  I couldn't let it go that easily. I was hoping where ever it happened the person took the money and bought formula for their baby.  We hung up and I just kept thinking.

I remembered paying $2 for something and handing over two bills.  If I could just remember where it was then I would know where I lost my money.  As I was driving it suddenly hit me that I had bought a bagel for Ariel and myself at JP's the day before.  It cost $1.90 and I remembered handing over 2 ones and getting 10 cents back.

I drove right to JP's, rehearsing what I would say to them the whole way there.  I knew they would look at me like I was a crazy person and that they didn't have an extra $19.

I got in line (after getting the first spot right next to the handicap spot) and asked for a manager.  There wasn't one available, but I could talk to an assistant manager.  I went over to her and said, " I know this is going to sound weird, but I came yester and bought a bagel for $1.90.  I think I paid $21 instead.  I was wondering if your register was over last night."
She walked over to the register, opened it up, and handed me my missing $19. 

Can you believe it?!?!  I could hardly believe that just like that I got my money back.

This would not have happened if
I lived in a big city.
I didn't go to local businesses
JP's wasn't a business who employed people with integrity

I have always loved JP's (the first thing I ever had there was a cinnamon phosphate when it first opened) and now I love it even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment