Saturday, July 9, 2011

Eet Smakelijk

Eet Smakelijk

Have you ever heard of this cookbook? 

I had to have it when I got married and my grandma got it for me.  I don't make a ton of things from it, but there are just some tried and true recipes that I NEEDED to have.

The other night I really needed a sweet and we just didn't have anything (I had to settle for an apple).  So the next day I decided to get out my cookbook and make these yummy brownies.  I like to cut them into bite size pieces and put them in the freezer.  I like them in the freezer for a couple reasons.
1.  They are really good cold.
2.  They are a little more out of sight so I don't eat the entire pan in a day.

Now for the recipe

Chocolate Mint Sticks
Brownies
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup flour, sifted

Preheat oven to 350*
Grease an 8"x8" pan (I like to line my pan with tin foil so I can lift it out and cut them easier)
Cream together margarine and sugar
Beat in eggs and vanilla
Blend in chocolate
Stir in flour
Pour into pan and bake for 25 minutes
Cool completely
Spread with frosting and glaze

Mint Frosting
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons margarine, softened
1 tablespoon light cream (I just use milk or water)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
green food coloring

Combine all ingredients and beat well
Spread over cooled brownie layer
Let stand until set

Chocolate Glaze
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon butter

Mlet the chocolate and margarine
Spread over frosting
Chill until firm




I'm not a great cutter or photographer, but you can see them yummy layers in this brownie.
Make a batch and keep them on hand for those times you need a little sweet.




No comments:

Post a Comment